Rehabilitation therapy on the Treasure Coast
At Lawnwood Physical Rehabilitation Center, we provide physical therapy services and medication management for patients requiring intense inpatient rehabilitation. We also perform hand occupational therapy and vision occupational therapy to help people return to daily activities.
Our dedicated team will carefully assess your unique needs and work toward restoring your ability to function independently.
For more information about our rehabilitation center and the types of therapy we provide, call our Consult-A-Nurse® team at (772) 742-9050.
Our facility includes a state-of-the-art gym where our therapists will work to improve your balance, coordination, physical function, mobility and safety. We’re also the only facility on the Treasure Coast accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities. This achievement recognizes our commitment to internationally recognized service standards and best practices for inpatient rehabilitation.
Our physical rehabilitation team
Our highly trained rehabilitation specialists tailor treatment plans to meet every patient’s physical, cognitive and emotional needs. To create your treatment plan, we'll rely on input from:
- Physical therapists
- Occupational therapists
- Speech-language pathologists
- Clinical psychologists
- Case managers
Benefits of physical therapy
Physical therapy can greatly improve your quality of life following an illness or injury. We help patients regain functional independence after experiencing complications such as:
- Brain injury
- Hip fracture
- Joint replacement
- Spine injury
- Multiple sclerosis
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Parkinson’s disease
We also provide therapy services for patients experiencing:
- Limitations in self-care
- Impaired mobility, balance and coordination
- Limitations in strength and endurance
- Cognitive and perceptual deficits
- Speech and communication problems
- Swallowing disorders
Young adult stroke rehabilitation
Having a stroke at a young age poses an array of unique challenges. You want your active lifestyle back, and it's our goal to help you get there. That is why we have designed a highly specialized stroke rehabilitation program to help young adults meet their specific recovery goals. Rehabilitation does not reverse the brain damage caused by a stroke, but it can go far to help achieve the best possible outcome for long-term recovery.
The Young Stroke Program at Lawnwood Physical Rehabilitation Center is designed to address the unique needs of young stroke survivors. We're going to do our best every day to get you back to doing the things you love most.
We are here 24 hours a day, seven days a week to answer your questions. Call (772) 467-3906 for more information.
Physical therapy for stroke recovery
Lawnwood Physical Rehabilitation Center is St. Lucie County's only accredited Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) stroke specialty program. The program is an integral part of Lawnwood Regional Medical Center and Heart Institute, a facility recognized by The Joint Commission as a Primary Stroke Center. This connection grants our patients access to highly trained stroke specialists and the very latest in technologies.
Led by a board-certified physician with expertise in stroke rehabilitation, our stroke rehabilitation team includes specially trained rehabilitation nurses and psychologists as well as physical, occupational and speech therapists. Additionally, social services, case management, orthotic consultants, nutritional counseling and spiritual counseling play key roles in our program for each patient’s path to recovery.
Why our stroke recovery program is right for you
Our interdisciplinary team will use their collective expertise to make the best plans for the progress you desire. We celebrate the progress you have already made and we are ready to help you with the next improvements of your rehabilitation journey. Additional features of our program include:
- A rehabilitation program based on what research shows is best for young stroke patients
- State-of-the-art exercise equipment and resistance strengthening to help patients regain balance and mobility to their highest potential
- Therapeutic treatments designed to reintroduce use of technology into your day to day living
- Therapy sessions in real-life settings, such as a fully equipped kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, laundry room and various outdoor training environments
- Having visitors is encouraged and we consider them an important part of rehabilitation
- Wi-Fi access
- Newly renovated 3,000 square feet of gym space
- Support groups for management of swallowing difficulties (aphasia) and implementation of adaptive eating equipment
Young Stroke Rehabilitation amenities and resources
Our programming is for you and the people who love you most. Our program is proud to not only provide patients with high-quality stroke recovery care, but also premier amenities and resources, including:
- Equipment and education for life at home family/caregiver training
- Intense one-on-one therapy provided by physical, occupational and speech therapists
- Stroke prevention education
- Stroke support group
- Vocational, family, financial and intimacy counseling